Ataman Title

Title Turkey

Our HotelTurkeyCappadociaDaily ToursViewsGuestbookRequest FormHome

Sadberk Hanim Museum

In a museum even the simplest object is a messenger from the past bringing echoing voices from a world long gone. It is a strange feeling to be in contact over a gulf of centuries or millenia. Each artefact or document was made and used by other human hands long ago, and has the capacity to throw light on one or more aspects of their daily lives.That is the feeling which awaits you in Sadberk Hanım Museum, named after the wife of Turkish industrialist Vehbi Koç. It was Sadberk Hanım’s wish that a museum be founded to house her private collection, which was noted above all for its Ottoman embroideries and costumes. Unfortunately she died on 23 November 1973, seven years before the museum opened. Her family set about restoring the 19th-century house at Büyükdere on the northern shore of the Bosphorus which had been chosen as an appropriate location for the museum, and it opened on 14 October 1980.In 1983 the museum purchased the famous collection of Hüseyin Kocabaş which was put up for sale by his heirs after his death. This remarkable collection, spanning eight thousand years from 6000 BC to the end of the 19th century, represented the many different civilisations of Anatolia. Sadberk Hanım Museum now divided its collection into two, the Antiquities and Islamic and Ottoman sections, housed in separatesadberk2.jpg (16848 bytes) buildings.The original museum building is a late 19th century timber house near the Black Sea mouth of the Bosphorus Strait. It is half-timbered with two main storeys and an attic floor, and its architecture is influenced by traditional European vernacular style. The X-shaped wooden decorations and bosses screwed onto the façade inspired the local people to call it the ‘Screw House’ instead of its proper name Azaryan Yalısı. It was purchased by the Koç family in 1950 and they used it as a summer house until 1978, when restoration began according to plans drawn up by the architect Sedat Hakkı Eldem, and the interior was fitted out to house the museum exhibits. Including the small garden, the museum has a total area of 4280 square metres. On the ground floor is a gift shop and small tea room. The ceiling of the original hall has a coffered ceiling of the type inspired by ancient Roman architecture, and the walls are painted in an imitation of marble, as was fashionable at the time. The exhibition areas are on the ground and first floors, the attic floor being occupied by storerooms, offices and the library. When Hüseyin Kocabaş’s collection was purchased in 1983 this building was no longer large enough, and the Vehbi Koç Foundation purchased the half-ruined house nextdoor which is thought to date from the early 20th century. This was restored by İbrahim Yalçın, with the exterior faithful to the original, but the interior as a striking modern museum.Renamed the Sevgi Gönül building, the new section housing the pre-Islamic collections opened to the public in 1988. That same year it won the coveted Europa Nostra Award for museums. The façade is revetted in wood. The building has four storeys at the back and three at the front. The ground floor contains a lecture room and conservation laboratory. On the next three floors are the galleries where the exhibits are arranged in chronological order over an area of 625 square metres. No daylight at all is admitted into the galleries.Sadberk Hanım Museum is a pleasure to visit, and its situation on the upper shore of the Bosphorus is a chance to get out of the city and see some enchanting scenery as well. The museum is open daily except Wednesdays from 10.00 to 17.00.
Skylife 04/99
* By Aynur Erdem *Photos Hakan Aydoğan
* Aynur Erdem is an archaeologist and journalist
 cizgi.gif (1086 bytes)

Our Hotel | Turkey | Cappadocia | Daily Tours | Views | Guestbook  | Request Form | Home